416-979-5000, ext. 553232
Degree in Progress
PhD in Clinical Psychology
MA in Clinical Psychology, Ryerson University
BSc (Honours) In Psychology, Queen’s University
Vanessa’s research interests include examining eating disorders across the weight spectrum and improving intervention efficacy for individuals with disordered eating. Her Master’s thesis examined the potential stigmatizing effects of a food addiction label among individuals who are overweight or obese. She also has a broader interest in the relationship between PTSD and disordered eating.
Vanessa is interested in cognitive-behavioural interventions for eating-related difficulties, including body image, eating disorders, and food addiction. She is a telephone-based cognitive behavioural therapist for individuals who have undergone bariatric surgery. Vanessa has also completed a clinical practicum placement at St. Michael’s Hospital Department of Family and Community Medicine (Clinical Psychology Training Clinic) and is currently completing a practicum placement at the Anxiety Treatment and Research Clinic at St. Joseph’s Healthcare in Hamilton.
Ryerson Graduate Scholarship – Master’s Award
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) – Master’s Award
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) – Doctoral Award
- Cassin, S. E., Sijercic, I., & Montemarano, V. (2020). Psychosocial interventions for food addiction: A systematic review. Current Addiction Reports, 7, 9-19.
- Montemarano, V., Troister, T., Lambert, C. E., & Holden, R. R. (2018). A four-year longitudinal study examining psychache and suicide ideation in elevated-risk undergraduates: A test of Shneidman’s model of suicidal behaviour. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 74(10), 1820-1832.
- Mac Neil, B. A., Leung, P., & Montemarano, V. (2018). Exposure with response prevention (ERP) for body dissatisfaction in a group therapy format: An exploratory study. Eating and Weight Disorders – Studies on Anorexia, Bulimia and Obesity, 23, 225-232.
Selected Conference Presentations
- Montemarano, V., Sijercic, I., & Cassin, S. E. (2020, July 6 – August 28). There is a lack of empirically supported psychosocial interventions for food addiction: A systematic review. [Poster presentation]. 81st Canadian Psychological Association Annual National Convention, Montréal, Quebec, Canada. (https://eventmobi.com/cpa2020/)
- Montemarano, V., Kua, K., & Cassin, S. E. (2019, November 15-16). The association between food addiction symptoms and externalized weight-based stigma [Poster presentation]. Ontario Psychological Association 72nd Annual Conference, Toronto, ON, Canada.
- Montemarano, V., & Mac Neil, B. A. (2016, September). Preliminary study examining self-evaluation based on body image scale (SEBI): Areas of self-evaluation, validity, and reliability. The Bi-Annual Eating Disorders Association of Canada (EDAC) Conference, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.