HEALTH & WELLNESS CENTRES FOR OLDER ADULTS
The Anne Johnston Health Station
2398 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M4P 2H4
Tel: (416) 486-8666
Anne Johnston Health Station provides programs and services for seniors free of charge, including primary health care, disease prevention, health promotion, and community development for individuals living within the catchment area of Highway 401 to Bloor Street and Bathurst Avenue to Bayview Avenue.
SPRINT Senior Care
140 Merton Street, Second Floor
Toronto, ON M4S 1A1
SPRINT is an accredited, not-for-profit community support service agency in Toronto that offers a wide range of practical and low-cost services to seniors and their caregivers.
North York Senior Center
21 Hendon Ave,
North York ON M2M 4G8
NYSC provides a broad spectrum of programs and services connecting older adults to their community and assisting them to live safely and independently in their own homes. They have a wide range of programming that facilitate social engagement and wellbeing.
Eat Right Ontario:
To connect with a dietitian: 1-877-510-2
The Brain Health Food Giude (BHFG)
The BHFG was developed by a team of researchers as part of the Canadian Consortium for Neurodegeneration in Aging initiative.
This is not an exhaustive list of books, but a select list of reading that may be of interest.
Wherever You Go, There You Are (1994) Jon Kabat-Zinn
- This book is a wonderful introduction to mindfulness and the practice of mindfulness meditation.
Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness (2008) Jon Kabat-Zinn |
- This book provides details surrounding the 8-week MBSR course. It is commonly prescribed as a reading when participating in the MBSR course.
Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness (1995). Sharon Salzberg
- A beautiful book on the importance of self-compassion and compassion for others.
The Mindful Way Through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness (2007). Mark Williams, John Teasdale, Zindel Segal and Jon Kabat Zinn.
- This book provides its readers with a bit of history on the development of MBCT and it’s application.
Gloria (2018). Shannon Manery
- If you are a caregiver, or have been touched by Alzheimer’s disease, this is an incredible book to read. It is a beautiful story of Gloria and Bob, a couple from Ontario who show us the meaning of love and resilience. Many of the entries in this book stem from Bob’s diary, which he kept while caring for Gloria who was diagnosed with probable Alzheimer’s disease in her early 60s.