I recently defended my doctoral dissertation to receive a PhD from the Psychological Science program supervised by Dr. Vickers. My research interests fall within health psychology, under the broad umbrella of mental health and well-being. Specific topics of focus include:
- Resilience models and measurement
- Resilience and well-being across the lifespan
- Stress conceptualization and (re)framing
- Stress measurement and induction
- Advancements in e-health/digital health designs and implementation
Select Scholarships & Awards
- 2018 Partnership for Change: The RBC Immigrant, Diversity and Inclusion Project Faculty Award ($50,000 as a collaborator/co-investigator for Digitizing the MSMR-I)
- 2018 Partnership for Change: The RBC Immigrant, Diversity and Inclusion Project Faculty Award ($50,000 as a co-investigator for WE-CARE)
- 2018 MITACS Accelerate Project Grant ($30,000)
- 2018 Canadian Psychological Association / Psychology Foundation of Canada (PFC-CPA) Student Research Grant ($1500)
- 2018 Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) Doctoral Scholarship for 2018-2019 ($15,000)
- 2018 Global Alliance for Chronic Disease (GACD) and Canadian Institute of Mental Health (CIHR) Canada-China Team Grant ($215,000 / year for 5 years for a total of $1,075,000 as co-investigator)
- 2017 American Psychological Association (APA) Dissertation Award ($1000 USD)
- 2017 Strengths in Unity Doctoral Fellowship ($7000)
- 2017 Partnership for Change: The RBC Immigrant, Diversity and Inclusion Project Award ($7000)
- 2016 Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) for 2016-2017 ($15,000)
- 2015 Winner of the Psychology Outside the Box (POTB) 2015 Conference Best Symposium Award for “The complex role of emotion in stress: A discussion of multiple approaches to understanding their relationship(s).”
- 2015 Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) for 2015-2016 ($15,000 – waitlisted)
- 2015 Dennis Mock Leadership Award Recipient at the program level for leadership efforts during the completion of Master’s Degree in Psychological Science at Ryerson University
- 2014 Tri-Council Canada Graduate Scholarship – Social Science and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Joseph Bombardier CGS Master’s Scholarship ($17,500)
Fung, K., Liu, J.J.W., Sin, R., Bender, A., Shakya, Y., Butt, N., & Wong, J.P. (2019). Exploring Mental Illness Stigma among Asian Men mobilized to become Community Mental Health Ambassadors in Toronto Canada. Ethnicity and Health. https://doi.org/10.1080/13557858.2019.1640350
Liu, J.J.W, Ein, N., & Fung, K. (2019). Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) on Depressive Symptoms in Individuals Currently Depressed: A Systematic Review of Existing Meta-Analytic Evidence. Canadian Journal of Counselling and Psychotherapy, 53, 198-212.
Liu, J.J.W, Ein, N., Gervasio, J., & Vickers, K. (2019). The efficacy of stress reappraisal interventions on stress responsivity: A meta-analysis and systematic review of existing evidence. PLoS ONE. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0212854
Liu, J.J.W, Ein, N., Gervasio, J., & Vickers, K. (2019). Subjective and Physiological Responses to the 35% Carbon Dioxide Challenge in Healthy and Non-Clinical Control Populations: A Meta-Analysis and Systematic Review. Anxiety, Stress, and Coping, 32, 216-230. doi: 10.1080/10615806.2019.1570803
Tassone, A., Liu, J.J.W., Reed, M., & Vickers, K. (2017). Multitasking in the classroom: Testing an educational intervention as a method of reducing multitasking. Active Learning in Higher Education, 1-14. doi: 10.1177/1469787417740772
Liu, J.J.W, Ein, N., Peck, K., Huang, V., Pruessner, J., & Vickers, K. (2017). Sex differences in salivary cortisol to the Trier Social Stress Test (TSST): A meta-analysis. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 82, 26-37. doi: 10.1016/j.psyneuen.2017.04.007
Liu, J.J.W, Reed, M., & Girard, T. (2017). Advancing resilience: An integrative, multi-system model of resilience. Personality and Individual Differences, 111, 111-118. doi: 10.1016/j.paid.2017.02.007.
Liu, J.J.W, Vickers, K., Reed, M., & Hadad, M. (2017). Re-Conceptualizing stress: Shifting views on the consequences of stress and its effects on stress reactivity. PLoS ONE 12(3): e0173188. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0173188
Taillefer, S.E., Liu, J.J.W., Ornstein, T.J., & Vickers, K. (2016). Indecisiveness as a predictor of quality of life in individuals with obsessive and compulsive traits. Journal of Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders, 10, 91-98. doi: 10.1016/j.jocrd.2016.07.002.
Liu, J.J.W. & Vickers, K. (2015). New developments in stress research – Is stress all that bad? New evidence for mind over matter. In A.M., Columbus (Ed.) Advances in psychology research (106th ed.). Hauppauge, NY: Nova Publishers.
Liu, J.J., Ward, A., & Hadad, M. (2014). Coping with loss: The relationship between childhood bereavement and later elements of worldview. Mindpad, 43(1), 3-7. Retrieved from http://www.cpa.ca/docs/File/Students/MindPad/articles/2014_4(1)_Liu.pdf